Tantalum Coating
07-20-2009, 08:37 AM,
Tantalum Coating
Morning All my first post!

I am looking for a company that can tantalum coat a stainless steel fastener.

Ideally the company is in the UK, so far I cannot find a suitable business.

We have previously dealt with Danfoss in Denmark but require a dual source, any recommendations?

Many Thanks
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM,
RE: Tantalum Coating
I think that www.cvd.co.uk should lead you in the right direction.

GB
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM,
Hi Maxwell

Danfoss in Denmark provide the "Tantaline" process which I think is some kind of CVD process - I assume this is the current process being used on your fasteners. The link to website above is interesting, though take with a pinch of salt as obviously commercial bias/marketing may be rife. The only other process I think may be applicable to your application will be electroplating from molten salts. Other processes like thermal spray, cladding, PVD etc I think will not be suitable due to thick coatings, line of sight processing...

Unfortunately, no UK based company pops out. GlenB's suggestion is a good starting point.
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM,
Hi Gordon

There does seem little support for tantalum coating in the UK, I have spoken to GlenB's link suggested above and await there response.

We did sample the molten salt method and the results were patchy so I believe the CVD process is the way to go.

(07-21-2009, 05:06 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Maxwell

Danfoss in Denmark provide the "Tantaline" process which I think is some kind of CVD process - I assume this is the current process being used on your fasteners. The link to website above is interesting, though take with a pinch of salt as obviously commercial bias/marketing may be rife. The only other process I think may be applicable to your application will be electroplating from molten salts. Other processes like thermal spray, cladding, PVD etc I think will not be suitable due to thick coatings, line of sight processing...

Unfortunately, no UK based company pops out. GlenB's suggestion is a good starting point.
07-29-2009, 12:11 AM,
Hi Maxwell,

Let us know how you get on. It's always good to share information?

Cheers
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM,
I will second that Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tantalum for electric wire arc operator 3 5,147 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Tantalum based chrome oxide djewell 1 5,817 03-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Gordon
Question Tantalum and WcCoCr coatings TintinMilou 7 12,436 09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Gordon