TS coating on train axles
12-05-2015, 08:39 PM,
TS coating on train axles
I'm doing research on Thermal Spray Coating on train axles.

The axles have to be protected against corrosion and impacts from stones and ice.

The surface roughness of the axles are Ra=1.6 [my] and this cannot be changed due to fatigue properties of the axle.

Is it possible to get good adhesion without Grit blasting?

After Grit blasting, what roughness do you get?

thanks for any answers
12-06-2015, 04:22 PM,
RE: TS coating on train axles
(12-05-2015, 08:39 PM)andebred Wrote: I'm doing research on Thermal Spray Coating on train axles.

The axles have to be protected against corrosion and impacts from stones and ice.

The surface roughness of the axles are Ra=1.6 [my] and this cannot be changed due to fatigue properties of the axle.

Is it possible to get good adhesion without Grit blasting?

After Grit blasting, what roughness do you get?

thanks for any answers

It is hardly possible to obtain a good coating by means of thermal spraying without sandblasting. However, you can select so a fine grain of blasting agent that has no negative impact on durability.

I recommend the corundum F 090 with grit 125-180 microns. We have samples from the steel 42CrMo4, blasted with this corundum, tested in endurance swing tests and found no difference to the non-blasted samples (both approximately 5,000,000 cycles). Same samples blasted with F 020 (650-1180 microns) were destroyed after approximately 500,000 cycles.
12-07-2015, 03:25 PM,
Depending on your coating material, you could possibly spray a coating with HVAF directly onto the surface. You would have to do a chemical rust strip and degrease first, but at least you could satisfy your customer that you were not grit blasting his axles. What material are you planning to spray?
12-09-2015, 10:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015, 11:00 PM by Johnny_Blaze.)
I would have to agree with djewell...cycle tests are one thing for impact and or wear resistance but without a proper chemical cleaning prior to the application, environmental factors will dictate the life expectancy of the coating to remain adhered to the surface.

J.B.