Surface engineering in aircraft parts
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM by Yves.)
Question  Surface engineering in aircraft parts
Hi everybody,

My name's yves and I am a new member. Congratulations for the forum, it is really great! I am an aircraft enthusiast and an intern for an Industrial Worldwide Gas Supplier. I am making a market study on aeronautics. Here are my questions :

- What are the surface engineering techniques used to treat aircraft parts, engine parts, landing gears and other parts of an aircraft ?
- What are the gases used and what is their importance, what are their roles in the process ?
- What is the average volume of gas used to treat, say, an engine compressor through thermal spray for abradable coating? what is the ratio (gas expense)/piece treated in this case ?

Can anybody tell me ? Any info on this will be welcomed. If anyone needs info on the aeronautics market, i can share as well.

Enjoy your day everybody !
10-12-2006, 04:37 PM,
RE: Surface engineering in aircraft parts
Hi Yves

Welcome to the Surface Engineering Forum.

1. Probably, every surface engineering technique you could think of is used somewhere in the manufacture of an aircraft.

Fuel gases for thermal spray, welding, brazing and many processes requiring heat:
Acetylene
Propane
Propylene
Hydrogen
and not forgetting oxygen as an oxidant.

Gases used in plasma spraying:
Argon
Helium
Nitrogen
Hydrogen
Many other processes use these gases such as vacuum furnaces, weld shielding, PVD and CVD etc..

Cryogenic processes, cooling and quenching:
Carbon dioxide
Nitrogen

Sure I missed a few, but those above are the most common that comes to mind.

I could give you an idea of gas consumption for various thermal spray processes and coatings given process time or coating mass/volume sprayed

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  horizontal spraying on surface of circular parts. Eagleman 2 4,045 07-21-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Lars.Patrick
  Testing equipment after surface engineering processes ir_minja 2 6,330 11-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Last Post: ir_minja
  Porous Machined Surface on Part Lower Inner Diameter on Inco 718 Coating Surface Alexangel1226 4 9,014 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Gordon