Substitute for Rokide E Z
07-23-2012, 08:41 PM,
Substitute for Rokide E Z
Hi...new to the SEF website and could really use some help. We operate a flame sprayer in our plant and normally use Rokide E Z rods. Unfortunately, it appears that the rods are unavilable at the moment. End result is our plant is facing a shutdown fairly soon if I can't find a replacement - anyone know of a substitute product?
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM,
RE: Substitute for Rokide E Z
Rokide EZ is a zirconia rod. Do you have to maintain a zirconia coating, or can you choose a different material? If so, what properties are you trying to achieve with the coating?
07-24-2012, 02:34 PM,
Thanks for the response.

We are a metal extruder (Titanium, Stainless, and Carbon) and we use the zirconia coating on our dies to help maintain the dies during the extrusion process. For background, we start with billets that are roughly 8" x 28" in length, heat them up to red hot and then push them through a die to make long length shapes. Without the ceramic coating, our dies (made out of tool steel), can degrade significantly in some of the higher pressure areas. We don't need long-term performance...just enough to protect the tool steel during the push.

I just saw a previous thread that mentioned Mogul Metallizing as a substitute. (sorry I didn't see it previously....was still figuring out how to navigate through the website). Anyone actually used their rods to substitute for Rokide? And used them in a Rokide flame sprayer?

(07-24-2012, 02:16 PM)djewell Wrote: Rokide EZ is a zirconia rod. Do you have to maintain a zirconia coating, or can you choose a different material? If so, what properties are you trying to achieve with the coating?

07-24-2012, 04:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM by Ken59.)
(07-24-2012, 02:34 PM)Kellie Wrote: Thanks for the response.

We are a metal extruder (Titanium, Stainless, and Carbon) and we use the zirconia coating on our dies to help maintain the dies during the extrusion process. For background, we start with billets that are roughly 8" x 28" in length, heat them up to red hot and then push them through a die to make long length shapes. Without the ceramic coating, our dies (made out of tool steel), can degrade significantly in some of the higher pressure areas. We don't need long-term performance...just enough to protect the tool steel during the push.

I just saw a previous thread that mentioned Mogul Metallizing as a substitute. (sorry I didn't see it previously....was still figuring out how to navigate through the website). Anyone actually used their rods to substitute for Rokide? And used them in a Rokide flame sprayer?

(07-24-2012, 02:16 PM)djewell Wrote: Rokide EZ is a zirconia rod. Do you have to maintain a zirconia coating, or can you choose a different material? If so, what properties are you trying to achieve with the coating?

Contact Saint Gobain in Latrobe, PA. sales at 1-724-539-6047 or 1800-438-7237 start with sales. If you get no help go to the top Mike Conway project manager rokide.
Good Luck...
Sorry about the last reply......
07-25-2012, 09:26 PM,
Saint Gobain had equipment problems.....they are normally who we purchase the rods from, however, their production is running way behind.

Thanks for the help....we are contacting several companies to try to find a substitute.

(07-24-2012, 04:42 PM)Ken59 Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 02:34 PM)Kellie Wrote: Thanks for the response.

Contact Saint Gobain in Latrobe, PA. sales at 1-724-539-6047 or 1800-438-7237 start with sales. If you get no help go to the top Mike Conway project manager rokide.
Good Luck...
Sorry about the last reply......

07-28-2012, 01:31 AM,
I have used Mogul Rods for many years via a Rokide Gun, good results with the Chrome oxide. I have never tried the EZ Rods from Mogul
06-28-2013, 07:59 AM,
We can make zirconia rod replace EZ, used in ROKIDE system
Lucas
TechCeramic Co., Ltd.
Ceramic rods for thermal spraying
sales@techceramic.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rokide coating troubleshooting pakalano 2 2,500 01-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Last Post: pakalano
  INFO ON ROKIDE SPRAY SYSTEM ehasan 11 23,063 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM