Parameters of Combustion wire gun
05-23-2014, 11:00 AM,
Parameters of Combustion wire gun
Hello Respected members of this forum,

I am new to this forum and also new in the field of thermal coating. We have workshop in Karachi, Pakistan and currently providing services of low speed dynamic balancing of rotors weighing upto 3 tons, electric testing services of motors/alternators, overhauling/repair/service of motors/alternators etc. To enter into thermal coating business, we have recently bought new Sulzer Metco combustion wire gun 16E with comsumable wires Metcoloy 2, 4, 5, Sprababbit, Al etc and already started doing jobs mainly for shaft rebuilding, surface restoration etc. Response is quite good from the market.

As I am new to this field, so I may have very basic questions. One such question is that is dry air/moisture free air necessary for thermal coating? How air affect coating process if it is not dried?
Also inform which tests we have to perform to check the integrity of spray coatings and names of test equipments.

Waiting for your early response.

Best regards,
Zubair Ghani
TURBO MACHINERY SERVICES
Karachi, Pakistan.
05-24-2014, 07:33 AM,
RE: Parameters of Combustion wire gun
(05-23-2014, 11:00 AM)Turbo Machinery Wrote: Hello Respected members of this forum,

I am new to this forum and also new in the field of thermal coating. We have workshop in Karachi, Pakistan and currently providing services of low speed dynamic balancing of rotors weighing upto 3 tons, electric testing services of motors/alternators, overhauling/repair/service of motors/alternators etc. To enter into thermal coating business, we have recently bought new Sulzer Metco combustion wire gun 16E with comsumable wires Metcoloy 2, 4, 5, Sprababbit, Al etc and already started doing jobs mainly for shaft rebuilding, surface restoration etc. Response is quite good from the market.

As I am new to this field, so I may have very basic questions. One such question is that is dry air/moisture free air necessary for thermal coating? How air affect coating process if it is not dried?
Also inform which tests we have to perform to check the integrity of spray coatings and names of test equipments.

Best regards,
Zubair Ghani
TURBO MACHINERY SERVICES
Karachi, Pakistan.

Hi,
For the beginning you need Metco 405 wire for the bond coat.
1.The gun is affected by the wet air.
2.The tests are based on the intended purpose.
Ion
05-24-2014, 09:47 AM,
(05-24-2014, 07:33 AM)plasmajet1990 Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 11:00 AM)Turbo Machinery Wrote: Hello Respected members of this forum,

Best regards,
Zubair Ghani
TURBO MACHINERY SERVICES
Karachi, Pakistan.

Hi,
For the beginning you need Metco 405 wire for the bond coat.
1.The gun is affected by the wet air.
2.The tests are based on the intended purpose.
Ion

Hello,

Thanks very much for providing the information.
For sure we have Metco 405 and use it as bond coat before spraying top coat.

As far as tests are concerned, our clients mainly ask us how perfect is the bonding. So we want information how to perform bond test. Also they ask us about hardness of the coated material. For this we have purchased very handy Swiss made hardness tester Nitronic HRC 3070. Currently we are receiving mainly wornout shafts on which we have to thermal coat bearing and seal areas mainly from oil & gas sector and chemical industries.

Waiting for your response.

Best regards,
Zubair Ghani
TURBO MACHINERY SERVICES
Karachi, Pakistan

05-25-2014, 06:07 AM,
Dear Mr. Ghani

I understand the situation well. The customers are relatively new to Thermal Spray, and keen to know what risk they have should the coating fail. This is understandable.

You and your company would like to mitigate problems, failures, and claims, with documentation, and testing.

a) If you search this site, Gordonengland, you will find much information on testing of coating, bond strength etc. That is the best resource. In my opinion, for a industrial machine shop, you might find working with a local Research Center or University for the testing of the bond strength is a good option. In house testing, might not be the best option.

b) Also you can find / develop some practical in house destructive test methods to qualify operators and procedures, such as a simple guided bend test, and dye penetrant. Again, those are "in house" test, with much subjectivity, so the lab test in point 1 above is important

c) Having proper equipment, materials, tools, procedure, training, and documenting your work. Strongly recommend a spray booth and dust extraction, quality air dryer, masking tape, grit blasting, and grinding as finishing. If you invest in the proper tools as you have indicated, then much easier to document, as well as acheive a repeatable quality coating every day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Green flame in HVOF hydrogen - oxygen combustion JeroenB 3 2,143 05-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: JeroenB
  Want consumables for Metco 16E combustion wire system. Turbo Machinery 0 1,904 06-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Turbo Machinery
  coating Fluidized Bed Combustion Boiler tubes iwan-sedaryawan 9 10,157 09-18-2017, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  How to spray combustion chamber liner Michaellearnstocoat 5 6,197 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  Reduce unmelted particles in Combustion Wire Spray Alberto Villalobos 8 8,370 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: KevinS
  JP5000 combustion tube KevGarty 5 7,181 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Last Post: kschewe
  Which powder should I use with my combustion flame spray gun? jamaicanarchie 3 5,971 06-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Bonding for Combustion/Flame Wire Spraying iwan-sedaryawan 3 7,446 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Last Post: iwan-sedaryawan
  twin wire arc spraying equipment for stainless steel wire, monel wire, etc. technovel 6 12,751 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: adam wintle