Oxidized steel grit
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM,
Oxidized steel grit
Hello experts,

We use still grit in our facility to blast parts before applying adhesive for rubber to metal bonding. Usually the steel grit we receive has a bluish/greenish tint. Recently we have some grit particles that appear oxidized (brownish in color).

What would be the impact of using oxidized grit material? Do grit/shot manufacturers do any QC test to check oxidation of the grit? From what I have heard from a distributor, this grit oxidation cannot by avoided by the manufacturer but I have trouble believing it. Can you provide some insights. Thanks.

02-02-2013, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 11:58 PM by kschewe.)
RE: Oxidized steel grit
I think it would be easy for a manufacturer to test for oxides on steel grit. You can probably get some kind of standard chemical test kit that will test for iron oxide. When in doubt toss it out.
There is always a bit of grit that get trapped which might cause contamination. It might help to clean the surfaces or acid dip parts after blasting. Change your media to glass beads or some kind of silica sand?
I know that the grit i get has high standards of quality and lot traceability. But this is for aerospace though.

(01-31-2013, 11:49 PM)SriramL Wrote: Hello experts,

We use still grit in our facility to blast parts before applying adhesive for rubber to metal bonding. Usually the steel grit we receive has a bluish/greenish tint. Recently we have some grit particles that appear oxidized (brownish in color).

What would be the impact of using oxidized grit material? Do grit/shot manufacturers do any QC test to check oxidation of the grit? From what I have heard from a distributor, this grit oxidation cannot by avoided by the manufacturer but I have trouble believing it. Can you provide some insights. Thanks.

04-28-2013, 07:24 AM,
Its advisable to use Pure Aluminium Oxide if you do not want any contamination.
Vijay Deshpande
04-28-2013, 07:10 PM,
It is common for steel grit/ CI grit to get oxidized. The same may also happen when stored after receiving supply. Generally, the mfg can take the stock ( oxidized) grit back and just clean it up for re-use. Blasting with oxidized grit shall have its own issues. Of course changing to Al2O3 is advisable but may be expensive depending on your application....
Shantanu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surface hardening [steel + steel alloys] haggis 1 3,669 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Removal of grit after grit-blasting? pulaunias 11 23,246 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Gordon
  grit Blasting 13cr steel hibberd 3 6,720 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Increase production rate of Grit Blasting of steel plates Adarsh 4 10,128 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Last Post: djewell