NiCrBSi
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM,
NiCrBSi
Hello,

I've choosen HVOF NiCrBSi coatings against erosion/corrosion on turbine rotor.

Did anyone have any experience on this topic ?

Thank you for your answer !
06-10-2007, 07:22 AM,
RE: NiCrBSi
hi Lenicacraint

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Knowing the type of turbine and operating environment may make answering your question a little easier.
06-11-2007, 07:52 AM,
Hi Gordon !

This is a LP Rotor of a nuclear power plant turbine.
The surface is eroded and corroded because of the droplet splash and steam path.
Temperature is between 75 and 145 ?C.
The rotor is made from a low-alloyed steel.

I've choosen a thin NiCrBSi coating but what is the typical use of NiCrBSi ? Where Is it used ?

Thank you for your answers !
06-12-2007, 05:18 PM,
hi Lenicacraint

Afraid no direct experience on this particular application. NiCrBSi are fuseable alloys and are most often used in this condition where substrate permits high temperature fusing operation. I suspect you are planning on using the coating in the non fused condition, where the coating should have good corrosion resistance, but somewhat less erosion resistance than the fused variety. If you are planning on fusing the coating, then remember that the ~ 1025 C fusing operation will effect the metallurgy of the steel.

Some alternative HVOF coatings which may be worth consideration and may provide increased erosion resistance, but probably not so economic.
tungsten carbide/cobalt chromium
chromium carbide/nickel chromium
cobalt based alloys (stellite 6, T800)
NiCrBSi with tungsten carbide
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM,
Thank you Gordon !

Some more elements :

The fact is that cobalt is forbidden in nuclear powerplant , so no stellite, so coblat alloys, ...

Also, the coating will be machined to get a good enough surface roughness, so if the coating is too hard (carbide) , i'll cannot machine the rotor...

About fusing , you're right ! i won't fuse the coating to avoid effecting the metallurgy of the rotor's steel.

I'm still looking for well-known applications of NiCrBSi, so if you have any idea !

Thanks !
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM,
hi Lenicacraint

HVOF NiCrBSi coatings (not fused) are used in the glass industry for molds/plungers and in the paper and printing industry for rolls. Typical product data recommends coatings for resistance to wear by hard surfaces, fretting and particle erosion at temperatures up to 815 C. Typical applications suggested include piston rings, cylinder liners, utility fans, thread guides, forging tools and hot forming dies.

What grade of NiCrBSi are you planning on using? Many of these can be around 600 - 800 HV which would be difficult to machine.
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM,
Hello Gordon,

Thanks for the answer.

I will probably use Diamalloy 2001 powder by Sulzer; the chemical is : 70,5% Ni ; 17% Cr ; 3.5% Boron ; 4% Silicon ; 1% C ; 4% Fe.

They're known to be about 700 HV.

One of my question is :

I need a surface roughness at about 3 ?m. Before deposit , i'll make a 10 ?m to get a good adhesive strength. So the surface roughness after deposit will be high. (between 5 and 15 ?m) . So why can I machine the piece to get my 3?m ?

The thickness of the coating will be 150 ?m. Have you any comments about that ?

Many thanks.
Best Regards
06-14-2007, 02:18 PM,
Hi Lenicacraint

What machining method are you going to use? 150 ?m I assume is the finished thickness, which should be ok, although much thicker coatings are possible if required.

3 ?m Ra is quite a rough finish. Some of the chromium carbide/nickel chromium HVOF coatings are not too far off that as-sprayed (may be with a slightly finer grit blast roughness profile).
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM,
Hi bhellman

I have split this thread so that your post becomes a new thread, as I think this is really a different topic and deserves its own thread.

bhellman Wrote:Dear Colleauges
I would be very pleased with an international expression concerning analysis. Witch is the most common way to express various analysys;
NiCrBSi or Ni-Cr-B-Si, or
WC+Co-Cr or WC-CoCr
and so on.
Looking and reading almosta all net-info in this business, doesn't give any help to my question.
br bjarne

Moved to http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/sef/-spli...t-245.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NiCrBSi coating by DJ2600 Zhao Yun 6 1,291 12-05-2022, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Zhao Yun
  WC-Co+NiCrBSi Applying on hydraulic piston rod Met.Eng. 4 4,821 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  How to Fuse a NiCrbSi (16C) in a oven? Joris Kraak 4 6,165 04-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  Proper mixing of NiCrBSi with WC/Co Arturas 1 3,439 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: sprayjet
  WC\Co + NiCrBSi Met.Eng. 2 5,340 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Last Post: A.Termika Ltd
  [split] NiCrBSi - Abrbreviations bhellman 1 5,790 07-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Gordon