Need a help choosing process for texture carbide
09-28-2011, 10:01 PM,
Need a help choosing process for texture carbide
Need a help choosing the right process for approximate texture of 70 grit i.e. sandpaper (200 microns) of tungsten carbide on to 1/8” mild steel plate.

This will be used in nut shelling to grip and spin the nuts.
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM,
RE: Need a help choosing process for texture carbide
Hi

You can try this one.

First carry knurling operation(knurling tool to be used on lathe, this opeation carried to get grip for handling of component) on mild steel plate so that you can get required texture and after knurling you can coat tungsten carbide coating of 100 microns with HVOF Process.

Please note that you may not get very sharp edges like 200 micron emery paper by any type of thermal spray process.

Regards,

SREENIVAS
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM,
(09-29-2011, 07:01 PM)sreenuvundela Wrote: Hi

You can try this one.

First carry knurling operation(knurling tool to be used on lathe, this opeation carried to get grip for handling of component) on mild steel plate so that you can get required texture and after knurling you can coat tungsten carbide coating of 100 microns with HVOF Process.

Please note that you may not get very sharp edges like 200 micron emery paper by any type of thermal spray process.

Regards,

SREENIVAS

That’s a good idea but it will be done on a diamond plate conical cylinder.
Do you know where I can get a sharp edged carbide granule around 200 micron?
Every place I find only has around 40 micron.

09-30-2011, 03:31 AM,
Maybe you can spray a rough texture bond coat, then apply the top coat. Metco 405 bond is rough.
If you are looking for a course powder, did you contact, metco, praxair, pac, montreal carbide etc?

12-08-2011, 08:44 AM,
Dear Sir
A.Termika Ltd tender you unique portable HVOF set Termika-3.

Admin Edit

Rest of post deleted. Off topic and considered as product promotion spam.

12-17-2011, 04:22 AM,
Traction coatings are used in many industries, are you sure you need 70 mesh, or is this just what has been used. My recommendation for the best overall coating, all aspects would be using a coarse mesh WC with a blocky structure, with HVOF. I would use a gas fuel HVOF system, jetkote, DJ or Top Gun and only coat with one or two passes. This will give about 7 Ra micron value, maybe 150 mesh equivalent, but will be robust and last for quite some time.
12-23-2011, 03:18 PM,
Hi davisdesigns

Have used products like Metco 36C (-150 +45 microns) coarser end being blocky tungsten carbide particles with finer NICrBSi. Though in my experience these go down better using plasma spray as with HVOF the coarser carbides just bounce off Big Grin. Even with this you will struggle to get the roughness you are after with out spraying onto a pre-roughened substrate.

Arc spray composite wire could well be worth exploring.
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM,
I've done a similar application a few different ways before with good success, but didn't have to deal with the diamond plate. On a mild steel we've used a coarse textured arc spray of high chrome iron (29% Cr) or Iron Boride then overcoated with HVAF WC-Co. you get texture from the arc and increased wearability from the carbide, and when there is a visual color change on the tool, then you know it is time to recaot, but you likely haven't lost any of the base metal yet.

Alternatively, if there is no high temp or impact in the application you could consider an epoxy/silicon carbide slurry application. Angularity would be better, and carefully selecting the epoxy and carbide could get you any texture you want.
12-29-2011, 03:02 PM,
Maybe off topic a bit, but I used to sell abrasives to Textile companies that wound the abrasives around large cylinders, completely wrapping the roll.

The cylinder was used for Sueding, or texturing fabric

Just another idea....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Process Gasses Purity Impact towards Plasma Spray Process, equipment or outcome Alexangel1226 8 12,303 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Eric Tolliver