NOx
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM,
Rolleyes  NOx
Hello
Can someone to explain me what is the harm to health due to NOx high concentration (I found about 60-80ppm of NOx in the air, CO was 0 ppm) in the room where we perform fusing process? The question is very serious for me. What are possibles effects?

Best regards
Arturas
02-20-2007, 05:09 PM,
RE: NOx
Hi Arturas

NOx is a term for nitrogen oxides that include nitrogen dioxide NO2 and nitrogen monoxide NO. Typically they are produced in combustion processes where nitrogen can be oxidised.

Exposure can lead to nose and eye irritation, lung complaints (pulmonary edema, bronchitis and asthma). Long term exposure can lead to pneumonia pumonary fibrosis and emphysema.

Quote:HSE Occupational Exposure Levels
NO2 long term exposure limit (8 hr TWA reference period) 3 ppm
NO2 short term exposure limit (15 min reference period) 5 ppm
NO long term exposure limit (8 hr TWA reference period) 25 ppm
NO short term exposure limit (15 min reference period) 35 ppm

Since the implementation of the COSHH Regulations in 1989, nitrogen dioxide has had
Occupational Exposure Standards (OESs) of 3 ppm (8-hour time weighted average) and 5
ppm (short-term exposure limit). Since then, the Health and Safety Commission?s Working
Group on the Assessment of Toxic Chemicals (WATCH) has reviewed the evidence on the
health effects of nitrogen dioxide. The conclusions from WATCH suggest that these OESs
may not be adequate to protect occupational health. The Health and Safety Commission
has therefore decided to withdraw them from EH40 as from April 2003. Based on the
evidence available, WATCH concluded that to protect workers against the development
of emphysema, long-term (8-hour TWA) exposures to nitrogen dioxide should not exceed
1 ppm.

Since the implementation of the COSHH Regulations in 1989, nitrogen monoxide has had
Occupational Exposure Standards (OESs) of 25 ppm (8-hour time weighted average) and
35 ppm (short-term exposure limit). Since then, the Health and Safety Commission?s
Working Group on the Assessment of Toxic Chemicals (WATCH) has reviewed the
evidence on the health effects of nitrogen monoxide. The conclusions from WATCH
suggest that these OESs may not be adequate to protect occupational health. The Health
and Safety Commission has therefore decided to withdraw them from EH40 as from April
2003. Based on the evidence available, WATCH concluded that to protect workers against
the development of emphysema, long-term (8-hour TWA) exposures to nitrogen
monoxide should not exceed 1 ppm.

I would suggest increasing the ventilation in the room substantially or place localised extraction close to the process.