Metallic contaminations in TBC
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM,
Rolleyes  Metallic contaminations in TBC
We spray TBC by SG-100 gun but there were too much metallic contaminations(approximately 2%) in the top coating. Does anyone can hlep me to solve this problem? How to adjust the spray parameters?

Thanks,
10-24-2006, 10:23 PM,
RE: Metallic contaminations in TBC
Hi Derek

Welcome to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Metallic contamination of thermal barrier ceramic coatings could be caused by:
  1. Contamination in as received powder (unlikely)
  2. Contamination from handling, powder feeder hoppers and feed hoses
  3. Metal dust being entrained in plasma spray stream
  4. Nozzle/electrode erosion

Have you identified the metallic inclusions in the coating? If they are tungsten or copper, this will tend to indicate excessive gun nozzle/electrode erosion and you will be suffering very short life from these parts. Time to service and calibrate equipment. If it is from other metals, then chances are, it is a case of poor house keeping. Common one is not cleaning powder feed hopper and hoses when changing from metal to ceramic powder.
10-30-2006, 07:31 PM,
RE: Metallic contaminations in TBC
Thanks a lot Gordon, I do not have any method to identify the matallic inclusions but I try the different powder lot number, it works. The metallic contaminations was in limited.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metallic HVOF bond coat to TBC APS top coat Gas turbines achmadarifudinh 0 1,854 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Last Post: achmadarifudinh
  Poor flame with Ni-based metallic powder - HVOF process Roy 2 4,629 02-26-2016, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Roy