Machine Metco 601
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM,
Machine Metco 601
Hi, I'm new here.

I was wondering if anyone knows how much Aluminum silicon polyester (metco 601) I need to apply for machining.

I cant seem to find this anywhere, not even in the metco bullitens.

Thanks,
plasmaguy
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM,
RE: Machine Metco 601
Hi PlasmaGuy

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Probably not the best person to answer this, but here goes. Assuming everything else is perfect, to remove surface texture I guess about 0.1 mm (0.004”) on coating thickness. This will depend though on your substrate preparation and spraying process. Everything else may not be perfect Happy0193 so if we consider errors introduced during pre-coating machining, grit blasting, coating thickness variation, process induced distortion, measurement error, datum point errors etc., you could be looking at something like 0.5 mm (0.020”) on coating thickness.

I don't think every situation/job will be the same. Obviously, a safe point where we get no rejects for not cleaning up, but not too much safety that we are wasting expensive materials and time. I think you need initially to estimate all the compounding errors and add a little safety factor and then fine tune from practical experience.

Hopefully, someone with more practical production experience could comment Big Grin
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM,
Thanks for the quick response.
.004" doesn't seem like that much for as rough as the coating is.
I didnt know if anyone had direct experience with it.
I will have to do the research, but at $100 a lb,(64 Euros..haha ...ouch), I was hoping someone did the work for me.

Thanks,
Plasmaguy
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM,
Hi PlasmaGuy

Quote:.004" doesn't seem like that much for as rough as the coating is.
Happy0193 yes, I suppose I am looking at it from ideal situation. ID and less than perfect angle spraying will be much worse. Though, I think this highlights why it is difficult to give a generic machining allowance (well one that will be optimised for economy anyway).

Quote:I didnt know if anyone had direct experience with it.
I will have to do the research, but at $100 a lb,(64 Euros..haha ...ouch), I was hoping someone did the work for me.
I'm sure there are a few, but perhaps understandably they may be reluctant to give away results to their own hard work and chances are their results will not be best for your situation anyway.