Loose Particle of Flame Coat
12-16-2011, 10:50 AM,
Loose Particle of Flame Coat
Hi all,

I using Sulzer Metco 14E gun with 1/8in aluminum wire and powered by Oxygen and Acetylene.
The problem is it has a lot of white colour loose particles,. The more layer I sprayed, the more loose particles. But if I sprayed less layer, I couldn't achieve required Ra.
Is there any parameter that playing big role here?
What if I wait for the work piece to cool down before I proceed for 2nd layer?
12-16-2011, 05:50 PM,
RE: Loose Particle of Flame Coat
Hi operator

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I can't really visualise your problem unless your doing something totally away from the norm. Could you provide us with photo of the coating.

Quote:Is there any parameter that playing big role here?

Are you a beginner at thermal spray? To be honest and no offence intended, it sounds like you need some decent training and instruction on the process.

12-19-2011, 05:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2011, 10:15 AM by operator.)
I'm totally new in surface engineering stuff, just came into contact with this weeks ago. This is a very informative forum and Im glad I found this.

My Ra requirement is 600-800uin. So I need to spray 3 times to achieve this Ra. But the more layer I sprayed on substrate (aluminium) it seem to have more white colour loose particle coming off from substrate.

So now I have drafted a few experiment to get better result in term of Ra and in term of loose particle.
1. Ra value before coating on substrate. (Higher Ra after grit blasting better for coating to take place)?
2. After first layer coating do I need to wait for the substrate to cool down before proceed for 2nd layer?
3. Im using pure Aluminum wire 1/8" currently, is there other wire suitable for this process, how bout Ni-Al?

Basically, my workpieces consist of sputtering parts which need to be coated and stripped on bi-weekly basis.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12-23-2011, 04:55 PM,
Hi operator

Quote:1. Ra value before coating on substrate. (Higher Ra after grit blasting better for coating to take place)?

Well you could use a slightly finer grit blast. As long as it is clean and sharp and your coating is not excessively thick, there should be no problem.

What coating thickness do you require?, I guess you only need a covering so tune your grit blasting to give the final roughness required with the minimum coating thickness required say around 0.004".

Quote:2. After first layer coating do I need to wait for the substrate to cool down before proceed for 2nd layer?

That depends on how hot the coating/substrate gets. Most metal substrates will benefit from a preheat of around 80 - 100C, though not aluminium or magnesium substrates which are best not directly preheated with flame at all. During spraying try and keep temperature as constant as possible and try and keep lower than a maximum of round about 180C. You can use a air blast cooler to assist in temperature control.

Quote:3. Im using pure Aluminum wire 1/8" currently, is there other wire suitable for this process, how bout Ni-Al?

Not sure what the exact function of your coating is, can you give more detail.

I can only think that the white particles are aluminium oxide. What hardware and parameters are you using? What is the length of the wire tip in the flame (protruding from air cap)?
12-24-2011, 08:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2011, 08:43 AM by plasmajet1990.)
(12-16-2011, 10:50 AM)operator Wrote: Hi all,

I using Sulzer Metco 14E gun with 1/8in aluminum wire and powered by Oxygen and Acetylene.
The problem is it has a lot of white colour loose particles,. The more layer I sprayed, the more loose particles. But if I sprayed less layer, I couldn't achieve required Ra.
Is there any parameter that playing big role here?
What if I wait for the work piece to cool down before I proceed for 2nd layer?

Hi,

Try to lower the oxygen / acetylene ratio.

Ion
12-25-2011, 05:15 AM,
Ion,
I'm using 80-90scfh Oxy and 30-40scfh Acetylene as recommended in the manual. For a complate combustion for Oxy and Acetylene is Oxy/Acetylene is 2.5. So should I increase acetylene or lower oxy flowrate? How about air flowrate.
Sometimes, i think is the environment factor, the spray booth is quite dusty.

Gordon,
The EDX for the white loose particle is purely Al. What does it tell? Does it come from the wire which not melted and deposited on substrate?
How about wire speed? how to take wire speed measurement.

Merry Christmas to all.
12-26-2011, 02:11 PM,
(12-25-2011, 05:15 AM)operator Wrote: Ion,
I'm using 80-90scfh Oxy and 30-40scfh Acetylene as recommended in the manual. For a complate combustion for Oxy and Acetylene is Oxy/Acetylene is 2.5. So should I increase acetylene or lower oxy flowrate? How about air flowrate.
Sometimes, i think is the environment factor, the spray booth is quite dusty.

Gordon,
The EDX for the white loose particle is purely Al. What does it tell? Does it come from the wire which not melted and deposited on substrate?
How about wire speed? how to take wire speed measurement.

Merry Christmas to all.

Hi,

You can try O2/C2H2 = 2 (80/40) and decrease the wire speed.

Ion

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recomended bond coat for Metco 81 VFNS top coat achmadarifudinh 9 4,688 07-06-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ServiceTech
  Metallic HVOF bond coat to TBC APS top coat Gas turbines achmadarifudinh 0 1,829 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Last Post: achmadarifudinh
  Roughness and particle size hustzc 5 7,882 07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Last Post: velocity
  Particle size distributin texnicar 2 3,837 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Last Post: texnicar
  About electrodeposition of Ni-Cr particle on steel plate Catherine 0 3,303 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Catherine
  After ball milling, is the powder particle size will be changed? fahad03092 1 4,579 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Possibility Study to use Stellite - 306 Bond Coat for 75Cr3C2 -25NiCr Top Coat -Reg sreenuvundela 2 5,925 09-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Last Post: sreenuvundela
  Ash Particle Hardness and Effect on Material Operator Mike 1 5,880 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Molten Particle Temperature powerman 3 7,079 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Intel55