How to determine the porosity level of Metco 320NS abradable coating?
08-09-2015, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM by viewwer.)
How to determine the porosity level of Metco 320NS abradable coating?
Dear All:
I have a problem when determine the porosity level of Metco 320NS coating.
What I have is the SEM image of coating section. The gray level of the porosity is very similar to the coating secondary filler hBN in the SEM image, so it is difficult to calculate the porosity level by ajusting the image.
Have anybody had similar problem, any help will be appreciate.
08-25-2015, 09:53 AM,
RE: How to determine the porosity level of Metco 320NS abradable coating?
(08-09-2015, 01:04 PM)viewwer Wrote: Dear All:
What I have is the SEM image of coating section. The gray level of the porosity is very similar to the coating secondary filler hBN in the SEM image, so it is difficult to calculate the porosity level by ajusting the image.

Hello,
We measure porosity level in % using a microscope.
Usual % for top coat is of ~50%.
Microscope/Scan program measures % of darker spots wich represent porosity.
Cheers
10-01-2015, 03:50 AM,
Hi Viewwer,

Defining porosity is very tricky because what represents real porosity!
I have not seen any standard which tells you accurate what the level of porosity is for different materials.

Some standards even show you a figure and you can compare if your porosity match the one from the pictures, basically saying "we also don't know, should be something like this" :-)

That being said I can have a try for you analyzing your porosity with our analyzing software. If you send me a picture I will let you know what I think the porosity is and how I would interpret it, perhaps it will give you an idea of what to expect. Of course this is based on your preparation of the sample!

Just upload the picture to this forum. If w are luck we will have a fruitful constructive discussion wit other forum members.

regards,
Joris

10-16-2015, 12:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-16-2015, 12:44 AM by Johnny_Blaze.)
(10-01-2015, 03:50 AM)Joris Kraak Wrote: Hi Viewwer,

Defining porosity is very tricky because what represents real porosity!
I have not seen any standard which tells you accurate what the level of porosity is for different materials.

Some standards even show you a figure and you can compare if your porosity match the one from the pictures, basically saying "we also don't know, should be something like this" :-)

That being said I can have a try for you analyzing your porosity with our analyzing software. If you send me a picture I will let you know what I think the porosity is and how I would interpret it, perhaps it will give you an idea of what to expect. Of course this is based on your preparation of the sample!

Just upload the picture to this forum. If w are luck we will have a fruitful constructive discussion wit other forum members.

regards,
Joris

Hi Joris Kraak,

I don't see any image attachmenets.

I have a fair amount of experience with 320NS, but as you say, it is difficult to determine porosity. I don't have much experience in the lab, but, I have been told using a dye penetrate and vaccum impregnating the sample will help you see the porosity using a microscope equipped with a UV light.

Unfortunately due to the weak cohesive bonding, the hBN will also pull-out during polishing and give you a slightly higher porosity percentage.

Regards,
J.B.
10-18-2015, 04:20 PM,
HI Johnny,

The polishing is a matter of trial and error until you have a result which you think represents reality.

As you say impregnation with an epoxy and Fluorescent additive will definitely help you identify porosity. However what is porosity, would you indicate oxide strings as porosity? In the end they will also allow a certain permeability into the coating structure. The lower these oxide strings the higher the corrosion resistance. I tend to count oxide strings also as amount of porosity, or identify them separately in the analysis.

10-18-2015, 04:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015, 10:12 PM by Johnny_Blaze.)
(10-18-2015, 04:20 PM)Joris Kraak Wrote: HI Johnny,

The polishing is a matter of trial and error until you have a result which you think represents reality.

As you say impregnation with an epoxy and Fluorescent additive will definitely help you identify porosity. However what is porosity, would you indicate oxide strings as porosity? In the end they will also allow a certain permeability into the coating structure. The lower these oxide strings the higher the corrosion resistance. I tend to count oxide strings also as amount of porosity, or identify them separately in the analysis.

Hi Joris,
I guess I wouldn't identify the strings as porosity due to lack of experience in the lab, but doesn't the fluorescent additive help identify inter-splat separation? Sometimes the darker regions around the stringers can be mis-identified as stringers when they're possibly separations which the fluorescent additive can penetrate between the splat boundary of the strings no?

Regards,
John
11-23-2015, 09:57 AM,
Hi John,

Exactly, it helps identifying pores and non pores.

cheers,
joris

(10-18-2015, 04:44 PM)Johnny_Blaze Wrote:
(10-18-2015, 04:20 PM)Joris Kraak Wrote: HI Johnny,

Hi Joris,
I guess I wouldn't identify the strings as porosity due to lack of experience in the lab, but doesn't the fluorescent additive help identify inter-splat separation? Sometimes the darker regions around the stringers can be mis-identified as stringers when they're possibly separations which the fluorescent additive can penetrate between the splat boundary of the strings no?

Regards,
John

12-02-2022, 03:56 PM,
One of the essential factors that you need to consider when selecting a Metco 320NS abradable coating is its porosity level. This determines how easily the coating can be removed, and high porosity levels could lead to reduced durability and increased maintenance costs.
To determine your coating's porosity level, it is necessary to carry out a test strip analysis. The strips will go through several cycles of wetting and drying, which will cause the embedded dye to change color with each cycle. At the end of the tests, you will see how many dark spots appear compared to light spots on the strip. Dark spots indicate high porosity levels, while light spots indicate low porosity levels.
Design Engineer at Testo India
Manufacturer Of Portable Combustion Efficiency Analyzers
https://www.testo.com/en-IN/
02-17-2023, 09:16 PM,
You can also do some apparent density tests of samples which a section of has also been mounted for metallographic analysis.

Then correlate appearance, with measured apparent density, and eventually eliminate the apparent density test once a level of confidence is found.

And I would second the suggestion of vacuum-impregnated slow-cure epoxy with UV dye, which is illuminated via Xenon light, and evaluated with image analysis software. This is how it is done at Metco. But, these also ned to be calibrated to "see" the porosity properly, so it's not a "plug-n-play" solution.
Spraying since '87. University of Metco alum (99-16)

Available for consultation services- please send a PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problems spraying metco 320NS with F4 gun aerosam 6 13,017 08-16-2023, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Weizhong Chen
  Porosity in D gun coating DavidH 1 2,786 06-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  Problem solved Metcoâ„¢ 2042 - CoNiCrAlY-BN / Polyester Abradable CSchwie 5 15,684 06-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Tribologist_CH
  Metco 308NS Abradable KevGarty 4 6,499 05-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Post: KevGarty
  abradable coating failure stvon 11 9,378 11-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Joris Kraak
  Abradable Coating Thickness limitation wasif 1 4,247 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Johnny_Blaze
  Erosion Test of an Abradable Coating baaddin 3 5,931 02-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Last Post: baaddin
  Abradable Coating-Bond Strength rayudugirish 9 15,026 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Last Post: derek
  Porosity Problems Spraying Metco 72F-NS / Wc-114 J_rock 12 21,457 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Last Post: JeffVigor
  WC-Co coating porosity Zhiguo 9 12,791 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Zhiguo
  About Thermal Barrier Coating Porosity Amanda 3 9,574 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  How to determine thermal spray turns? joanwang 3 5,918 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM
  Oxide and porosity in WC-CoCr coating ycwbycwb 4 12,471 05-10-2008, 02:39 PM
  testing of abradable coating wasif 4 9,839 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
  Porosity problem with Metco 71 FNS-2 Aigole08 9 14,449 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM