Grinding and mirror polishing wire guide pulley
07-28-2013, 10:09 PM,
Grinding and mirror polishing wire guide pulley
Hi ,

We have a problem about Grinding and Polishing complex area for ex WC/Co coated aluminium wire pulley whell.

We try 3M and Kgs diamond sanding, Pneumatic Tools with 6 mm diamond rolls. But we can't get smooth and mirror finish. We can't get shaft or flat surface quality.

Can some body give me advices about that?? Do u have a machine for it?Haw to grind and polish mirror surface for pulley like attachment.

07-29-2013, 12:20 AM,
RE: Grinding and mirror polishing wire guide pulley
Im going to try my best to explain this correctly so please bear with me.

What i have done in the past is polished coatings with the same or similar method as you have done then cut either a diamond belt or very fine emery paper (for softer coatings) in half. Wrap the belt around the part when it is in the lathe and very carefully hold each end while the part rotates

I have done a very poor drawing and attached it. This method worked well for me when trying to finish complex geometries as the belt can follow the profile of the surface more easily.

Using cutting fluid when doing this gives a very good finish (I have used water in the past)

When holding the belt do not wrap it around your hand (yes I have seen someone doing this)

Good luck

07-29-2013, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM by Met.Eng..)
I got it but its not avalible industrial mass production. It's hard to hold this diamond paper and its very difficult to grind tungsten carbide surface. It must some polishing and grinding methods with machine. Because you can't control dimension for ex +0,01 -0,01. You can't control as you said brush with your hand. And the catting speed is too slow with hand polishing.

Is anybody know how to grind and mirror polishing for wire pulley surface with endustrial methods???

Thank for your help

07-29-2013, 11:20 PM,
I don't mean completely finish the coating using this method think that would be asking a bit much lol

Use a grinding wheel to grind the coating back 0.001-0.002" above finish size you can get diamond wheels in different shapes something like a Number 4 or 14 core wheel the wheels are not straight like a 1A1 wheel they can be chamfered to suit your application - speak to your abrasives rep about a shaped wheel if its a continuous job without knowing the size of the groove and diameter I couldn't recommend anything but they will be able to help you.

One you are a couple of thou above size you can then "buff" the coating with the diamond belt or tape to give the mirror finish you are looking for.

Does that make better sense ?

Have a look here

https://www.nortonindustrial.com/uploade...Wheels.pdf

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diamond Grinding Met.Eng. 8 9,881 04-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Artyom
  How to apply a uniform coat on a cone pulley with 8 different diameters behzadsaberi 4 4,708 05-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Last Post: behzadsaberi
  sample polishing question WC Co CHI3 4 7,061 02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Last Post: KevinS
  Grinding material novakmichal86 0 7,195 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Last Post: novakmichal86
  Diamond grinding problem Met.Eng. 4 7,229 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Last Post: a.termika.ltd
  twin wire arc spraying equipment for stainless steel wire, monel wire, etc. technovel 6 12,775 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: adam wintle