Corrosion Potential - Help and advice needed!
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM,
Corrosion Potential - Help and advice needed!
Hi
I have come to the forum for advice!
I have an issue with my car and its injectors. They are made from steel and housed in an alloy guide tube (possibly aluminiumalloy but don't know 100% for sure). They have all seized-corroded in the guide tubes. Apparently this is due to dissimilar metal corrosion or galvanised corrosion. Apparently metals can be measured due to their corrosion potential.
Can anyone elighten ,e a little omre about his-preferrably in layman's terms?!?
Many thanks in advance!
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM,
RE: Help and advice needed!
Hi Freckle

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Sorry, a little short on time, so I will have to come back to this later.

I will change your thread title though if you don't mind.
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM,
RE: Corrosion Potential - Help and advice needed!
(07-09-2009, 05:10 PM)freckle Wrote: Hi
I have come to the forum for advice!
I have an issue with my car and its injectors. They are made from steel and housed in an alloy guide tube (possibly aluminiumalloy but don't know 100% for sure). They have all seized-corroded in the guide tubes. Apparently this is due to dissimilar metal corrosion or galvanised corrosion. Apparently metals can be measured due to their corrosion potential.
Can anyone elighten ,e a little omre about his-preferrably in layman's terms?!?
Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

If you can post the photographs we would be able to evaluate the actual problem on the surface of the component
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM,
RE: Corrosion Potential - Help and advice needed!
Hi Freckle

Try this

https://www.gordonengland.co.uk/corrosion.htm
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM by freckle.)
Big Grin  RE: Corrosion Potential - Help and advice needed!
Hi
Totally forgotten I'd put the question on here-suddenly came to me in the bath!!
Photography is a problem-the issue is not quite as clear as it seems...
The problem is not one I have found-it has been discovered by the dealership my car was at. My engine failed in my Citroen C8 and this was the initial problem-they couldn't access cylinderhead as all 4 injectors were seized. Eventually it was sent away to an engineering company who had to brea them to remove then-this and replacement of new injectors came to �1200. The fault was then found in the cam mechanism. 20 weeks and a huge bill later the car is ready but 3 days before pickup I find details that this is a common problem in the models between 2003-2005 due to a design fault allowing water into the cam. However everyone also has seized injectors. I have learned about the makup up of them from a mechanic online and since been researching dissimilar metal corrosion as part of my battle against Citroen-need to sound like I know what I'm talking about! Car is now back as the dealearship were threatening legalities against us if we didn't pay up, so I don't have injectors and guide tubes seperate to photograph-just an engine! However-might be able to get our local garage to have a tinker for free and get some pics if this would help?
Thanks for replies-will check out the link now too. Smile
Have also change to receive email notification too now so won't forget about the posting!!Ashamed0002
(07-11-2009, 01:41 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Freckle

Try this

https://www.gordonengland.co.uk/corrosion.htm

Argghh-simple terms needed-I have given birth 3 times which massively reduces your brain power!!
Will read through tonight when sproglets are in bed and have some peace.....Ashamed0002

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Hydraulic Shaft - Thermal Spray - Advice needed Jagdeep 2 5,122 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Last Post: shantanu
  Need advice on unmelt particles in Metco 58 coating vivian 2 5,267 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Engineering student looking for advice Q23Q 1 3,537 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Last Post: EmaEsabel
Question 88WC - 8Co - 4Cr Removal Advice Batsy 2 7,581 02-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Batsy