Coating on Sodium Hypo Chloride - 6-14% active Chloride- tank
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM,
Coating on Sodium Hypo Chloride - 6-14% active Chloride- tank
Dear All,
Does anyone has any experiences to coat on Sodium Hypo Chloride - 6-14% active Chloride- tank & PH 12 ? in order to prolong the surface against wet corrosion, Tank's base metal is Carbon steel
What kind of powder or wires for flame spray process ?Rolleyes
It is posible to use Chrome steel (AISI 430) wires ?
Thanks & Regards,
Iwan Sedaryawan - Website : https://www.ciptaagung.com
Happy0193
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM,
RE: Coating on Sodium Hypo Chloride - 6-14% active Chloride- tank
Hi iwan-sedaryawan

Quote:Sodium Hypo Chloride
I think you mean sodium hypochlorite - main constituent of bleach Smile

Some info from an old thread

https://www.gordonengland.co.uk/cgi-bin/...s/538.html Some of this quoted below:

Quote:Posted by John on November 05, 2003 at 10:23:47:

In Reply to: Re: Material Suitability posted by Gordon England on November 05, 2003 at 02:45:05:

: : : : Hi Gordan,

: : : : I've trialed a WcNi coating operating in 10% Sodium Hypochlorate 40 C. The ground finish has become very rough with a black powder residue when you wipe a cloth over it. There has been no loss in Ø. I'm a bit baffeled as an earler trial has gone extremly well. Any ideas?? One thought was that the Nickle was breaking down but i cant find any info on nickel suitability with AvCl2. Any info or sites to visit would be greatfully appreciated.

: : : : P.s. congratulations on a good forum

: : : Hi John

: : : Sodium Hypochlorate or more correctly named sodium hypochlorite (chemist out there please correct me if I'm wrong!)is the main constituent of bleach.

: : : The nickel will probably be attacked, although I think the WC will be resistant. Unfortunately, most metals are attacked. Well sealed ceramic, titanium or Hastelloy C based coatings should give better corrosion protection. Have you tried WC/10Co/4Cr? though I suspect it will be no better than WC/Ni.

: : : Info from a MSDS:

: : : Corrosivity to Metals:
: : : Sodium hypochlorite solutions (20%) are corrosive to brass (aluminium, naval and silicon) bronze, carbon steel, cast iron, Hastelloy, Inconel, nickel, stainless steels (types 304/347, 316 and 400 series) and silicon copper. Concentrated sodium hypochlorite is corrosive to most metals, including aluminium, copper, brass, bronze, carbon steel, Hastelloy, Inconel, lead, Monel, nickel and stainless steel type 400 series. Sodium hypochlorite solutions are not corrosive to tantalum, titanium and zirconium. Dilute solutions are not corrosive to Hastelloy C/C-276 (10%), Incolloy (5%) and high silicon iron.

: : : This link may be worth viewing:

: : :
: : : (link dead)

: : : Hope this helps

: : : Regards gordon

:
: : Gordon,

: : Tht info was very ineresting. If I spray a bond coat of titanium with a top coat of chrome oxide for abrasion resistance can you forsee any problems. I've heard reports from the states that this combination of coating is difficult to spray. Any thoughts?

: John,

: Titanium + chromium oxide sounds good, but can't comment from practical experience of this combination. I know titanium can be an awkward material to spray due to it's reactivity and absorption of oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen. Plasma spraying (APS) normally requires the use of an argon shroud to reduce oxidation and embrittlement. HVOF may be a better alternative?
: Titanium sprayed without shrouding does appear to bond extremely well to most substrates, although I'm not sure about the actual coating strength or the bond to chromium oxide.

: I think this would a be good R&D or "suck it and see" project. Failing that I would try HVOF Hastalloy C (or possibly diamalloy 4006 or Inconel 625)as a base coat. I certainly would not go as far as guaranteeing these coatings to your customer though!

: John, I would be very interested in any feed back you get from this project.

: Its late and after a few beers I hope this makes sense.

:
: Cheers Gordon.

:
: : John

Yes it was understandable.

We know from past experiance that because titanium powder is dense, we have had problems with powder binding and clogging the powder feed, even after baking. To quote the email I recieved from the states

"I have been talking to people over here about Titanium and they tell me they cannot (or it is difficult) to Titanium coat a roller to accept a hard face coating on top?" I still cant see what the problem is!!!

Anyway we will be spraying in the next few weeks hopefully. I'll give you some feed back.

cheers

John

(oh for a beer now)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thermal spray coating for Galvalume tank horsecheng 10 12,809 06-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Last Post: plzc126330
  LPG tank mlavar 1 3,358 07-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  gypsum Tank shantanu 4 5,286 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande
  Tank that cant be blasted, ideas? stuartred4d 9 7,999 06-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande
  Coating options for large carbon steel tank Jimmy D. 9 12,963 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Last Post: ives
  place propane tank upside-down as liquid service tank? pulaunias 7 31,252 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Last Post: djewell
  Coating Solution for demineralized water storage tank Raghav 6 24,073 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Last Post: SimonH