Babbitt
03-27-2014, 04:58 AM,
Babbitt
Hi All

We have a job to repair ( re-babbiting) of two pretty large guide pads used in a cement plant ( guide pads for a cement plant ball mill)

Thickness of layer required is 16 mm

Please let me know if using the "puddling" method to deposit Babbitt would impart sufficient bond strength for the said application

We would be using the appropriate base coat etc prior to puddling...

Ay inputs would be highly appreciated

Regards

Shantanu
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM,
RE: Babbitt

Hi Shantanu,

a few years back we did some large guide shoes for a major manufacturer of Mining and Mineral Machinery. The orginal cast babbit had not worked well during operation. The OEM wanted to do cast babbit with some anchoring holes etc. We got a waiver on the repair and did arc spray.

a) standard surface preparation
b) bond coat
c) Arc Spray build up with Babbit wires

worked out well, coating was at least 25 mm thick...

(03-27-2014, 04:58 AM)shantanu Wrote: Hi All

We have a job to repair ( re-babbiting) of two pretty large guide pads used in a cement plant ( guide pads for a cement plant ball mill)

Please let me know if using the "puddling" method to deposit Babbitt would impart sufficient bond strength for the said application

Regards

Shantanu

03-27-2014, 04:00 PM,
(03-27-2014, 01:07 PM)Stephen Booth Wrote: Hi Shantanu,

a few years back we did some large guide shoes for a major manufacturer of Mining and Mineral Machinery. The orginal cast babbit had not worked well during operation. The OEM wanted to do cast babbit with some anchoring holes etc. We got a waiver on the repair and did arc spray.

a) standard surface preparation
b) bond coat
c) Arc Spray build up with Babbit wires

worked out well, coating was at least 25 mm thick...

(03-27-2014, 04:58 AM)shantanu Wrote: Hi All

Regards

Shantanu

Hi Stephen

Hope alls well with you

Just apprehensive about spraying Babbitt as I've heard the fumes are really bad and is prone to catching fire...don't have hands on experience but just what I've heard and read....

in case we do opt for soray, would you recommend ARC or gas flame spray for Babbitt? Also, when you say bond coat- is it NiAl because we generally give a layer of TIN prior to puddling with Babbitt....
Let me know

Regards

Shantanu
03-27-2014, 04:08 PM,
Dear Shantanu,
Spraying of Babbit is very hazardous. I have done this many years back.
You may need electrical heaters to make a bond coat of tin
Vijay
03-29-2014, 02:17 AM,
Hi Shantanu,

a) Pretty much every form of thermal spray will have some dust, fumes, smoke, etc. If you purchase your wires from a USA or European maker with strict control of heavy metals, and use a functioning dust collector, and protect your operator, you will be fine

b) Arc or Flame, for this application we used Arc. I strongly prefer wire flame for this application as the DE is much better, and control of the target is good

c) Results: Excellent and the part worked well in service, in a remote location where the OEM part failed. One of the great success stories....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Babbitt Iwan Sedaryawan CA 0 3,163 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Iwan Sedaryawan CA
  Overspray in Babbitt spraying iwan-sedaryawan 1 3,565 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Last Post: LEN WOOD
Rolleyes White metal- Babbitt load taking capacity shantanu 3 6,639 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Last Post: shantanu
  Babbitt - Bonding strength iwan-sedaryawan 7 10,969 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Last Post: loriolo
Shy "Old Masters" of Babbitt and Babbitting Viking 11 13,183 04-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  Babbitt Cement Mill Bearings Bagri 3 8,883 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande