BMS 10-67, Type XII
11-26-2019, 04:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 04:53 AM by achmadarifudinh.)
BMS 10-67, Type XII
Dear all expert

In Boeing BMS 10-67, type XII thermal spray specification, recommended powder with specification is METCO 450NS. After i search in procedure thermal spray must be apply with HVOF system. And in METCO 450NS powder data sheet, its powder just applied by APS and Combustion Powder Thermospray.

Do you have any information about the specification BMS 10-67, type XII, alternated METCO 450NS which applicable to HVOF system ??

Thanks, Regards

Achmad Arifudin H
11-26-2019, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 07:17 AM by Vadim Verlotski.)
RE: BMS 10-67, Type XII
(11-26-2019, 04:48 AM)achmadarifudinh Wrote: Dear all expert

In Boeing BMS 10-67, type XII thermal spray specification, recommended powder with specification is METCO 450NS. After i search in procedure thermal spray must be apply with HVOF system. And in METCO 450NS powder data sheet, its powder just applied by APS and Combustion Powder Thermospray.

Do you have any information about the specification BMS 10-67, type XII, alternated METCO 450NS which applicable to HVOF system ??

Thanks, Regards

Achmad Arifudin H

Hi Achmad,

Powder METCO 450NS is a Ni5Al powder used as a bond coat. When spraying this powder is very important that all particles melt and arrive in the molten state to the substrate surface. Only molten Ni-Al particles form a really good bond coat (good adhesion and corrosion protection). In order to melt powder particles, plasma spraying and flame spraying are better suited than HVOF. Although you can use the HVOF burner for produce of melted particles, but there are often problems with the clogging of the nozzle (melted particles adhere on the inner nozzle wall). In this sense, for the use of 450 NS by means of HVOF, the old HVOF burner with short nozzles (for example, DJ 2700) are much better suited than modern powerful burner with long nozzles.
11-27-2019, 10:46 AM,
(11-26-2019, 07:12 AM)Vadim Verlotski Wrote:

Hi Achmad,

Powder METCO 450NS is a Ni5Al powder used as a bond coat. When spraying this powder is very important that all particles melt and arrive in the molten state to the substrate surface. Only molten Ni-Al particles form a really good bond coat (good adhesion and corrosion protection). In order to melt powder particles, plasma spraying and flame spraying are better suited than HVOF. Although you can use the HVOF burner for produce of melted particles, but there are often problems with the clogging of the nozzle (melted particles adhere on the inner nozzle wall). In this sense, for the use of 450 NS by means of HVOF, the old HVOF burner with short nozzles (for example, DJ 2700) are much better suited than modern powerful burner with long nozzles.

Hi Vadim, Thanks for your infomation.

What is the ideal 450NS spraying time to prevent clogging of the gun nozzle ??

I have a DJ 2600, 9MPDJ powder feeder, DJ8W gun, and hydrogen fuel. Can this 450NS process be done with the HVOF system?

Thanks, Regards

Achmad Arifudin H

11-27-2019, 12:07 PM,
(11-27-2019, 10:46 AM)achmadarifudinh Wrote:

Hi Achmad,

I have a DJ 2600, 9MPDJ powder feeder, DJ8W gun, and hydrogen fuel. Can this 450NS process be done with the HVOF system?

Thanks, Regards

Achmad Arifudin H

Hi Achmad,

The air-cooled DJ8A gun would be better for 450NS because the air-cooled version has a shorter nozzle. However, your DJ8W could also work if you find the right parameters. The correct parameters are those in which the NiAl layer structure is lamellar (lamellar structure means molten particles), but the nozzle still shows no powder adhesions. Maybe it works with DJ8W.

Regards
Vadim
11-28-2019, 03:11 AM,
(11-27-2019, 12:07 PM)Vadim Verlotski Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:46 AM)achmadarifudinh Wrote:

In Boeing BMS 10-67, type XII thermal spray specification, recommended powder with specification is METCO 450NS.

Hi Achmad,

Powder METCO 450NS is a Ni5Al powder used as a bond coat. When spraying this powder is very important that all particles melt and arrive in the molten state to the substrate surface. Only molten Ni-Al particles form a really good bond coat (good adhesion and corrosion protection).

Thanks, Regards

Achmad Arifudin H

Hi Achmad,

The air-cooled DJ8A gun would be better for 450NS because the air-cooled version has a shorter nozzle. However, your DJ8W could also work if you find the right parameters. The correct parameters are those in which the NiAl layer structure is lamellar (lamellar structure means molten particles), but the nozzle still shows no powder adhesions. Maybe it works with DJ8W.

Regards
Vadim

Hi Vadim

Thanks a lot for your advice, i will try it to get the best parameter. As we know that 450NS is applied with APS in oerlikon metco data sheet. I hope oerlikon metco can provide parameter 450NS that can be applied with HVOF system.

Maybe i will asking questions again in here. Ashamed0002Ashamed0002Ashamed0002Ashamed0002

Thanks, Regards
Achmad Arifudin H
12-05-2019, 03:52 PM,
Hi achmad
Some time Boeing or GE specification are old specifications, and the powder commercial name is only as references for the chemical composition, so Metco 450/ 480 are -90 +45 particles size, that are only for APS applications, it’s impossible to apply them with HVOF without clogging the barrel, the Metco material to be used is Diamalloy 4008, which has a finer particle size distribution (-45 +11), and is specially designed to be applied with HVOF spray process, and you can have all the parameters for this process.
Best regards
Luigi