Anti-Slip coating
12-16-2007, 04:26 AM,
Rolleyes  Anti-Slip coating
Hi, Forum, anyone has successful application of anti-slip thermal spray coating on ship deck for example, and like to have some info to share? jeffsays163@hotmail.com
12-17-2007, 12:32 AM,
RE: Anti-Slip coating
Hi jeffsays163

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Arc sprayed aluminium/10% alumina metal matrix composite wire (Duralcan 90/10 from Alcan Aluminium Ltd if I remember correctly). Produces the normally excellent coating for corrosion protection expected from pure aluminium, rough coating for anti-slip and very much improved wear resistance due to alumina content.
12-17-2007, 04:05 AM,
Great, Gordon!

Gordon Wrote:Hi jeffsays163

Arc sprayed aluminium/10% alumina metal matrix composite wire (Duralcan 90/10 from Alcan Aluminium Ltd if I remember correctly). Produces the normally excellent coating for corrosion protection expected from pure aluminium, rough coating for anti-slip and very much improved wear resistance due to alumina content.
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM,
Powdermet Inc. did some research for a non-slip deck coating using amorphous alloys. It was tough, yet corrosion resistant and made from inexpensive materials. They lost their funding, but if you contact them, they can still help you.
01-11-2008, 06:38 AM,
Deat Jeffy,
What i remember is TAFA 35 MXC can be used for Non Skid application. What u have to do is reduce spray air pressure to suit grain size required.
Vijay Deshpande
01-12-2008, 10:27 AM,
Thank you Djewell and Vijay. Meanwhile, could anyone tell me how the application and market situation of this Anti-slip coating in your area? Getting popular or hardly used?
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM by djewell.)
We do not get many inquiries for no-slip coatings. Occasionally, we are asked for wear resistant traction coatings e.g. for pulling paper through a machine.
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM,
Hi jeffsays163

Market is mainly with Oil and marine industries for walkways, decking etc.
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM,
Gordon Wrote:Hi jeffsays163

Market is mainly with Oil and marine industries for walkways, decking etc.

Thank you Grrdon.
01-17-2008, 02:03 PM,
djewell Wrote:We do not get many inquiries for no-slip coatings. Occasionally, we are asked for wear resistant traction coatings e.g. for pulling paper through a machine.

Thank you Djewell.
02-11-2008, 04:38 PM,
Might be a bit after the event but you could just try a rough sprayed Aluminium coating.

Duralcan is indeed a great material for the job but is difficult to get hold of now. I believe that they are no longer casting it in small quantities less than around 25,000kg, hence they are no longer really supplying it.

We have tried a few alternatives but none so far have been as good as Duralcan.

Some customers who previously sprayed Duralcan are now just spraying a rough aluminium coating. It's not as hard wearing but may be suitable for the application.
02-14-2008, 08:31 PM,
Hi Stuart

Thanks for that info. I didn't know it was so hard to get hold of now. Shame as I've come across quite a few good applications for it Sad

As Stuart says, I would go for rough arc sprayed aluminium particularly where anti-corrosion is important.
02-15-2008, 08:05 PM,
Hi Gordon and Stuart, thank you for the info. Do you ever heard about a newly develped Cored Wire for anti-slip application? Aluminium tape wrapped.
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM,
We are aware of some cored wires that have Al Oxide powder sheathed in aluminium. The issue with this type of wire is that when you spray in an arc, the Al Oxide is not heated sufficiently to melt or soften. Therefore, during spraying, you end up with a stream of molten aluminium and Al Oxide powder. It is therefore very difficult to judge how much Al Oxide gets captured within the coating and how much ends up as dust on the floor or blowing up the chimney. It is not a direct substitute for Duralcan. It may be better than pure Aluminium but could be difficult to obtain consistent results.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
02-19-2008, 03:26 AM,
Quote:Posted by Stuart Milton - Yesterday 03:05 PM
We are aware of some cored wires that have Al Oxide powder sheathed in aluminium. The issue with this type of wire is that when you spray in an arc, the Al Oxide is not heated sufficiently to melt or soften. Therefore, during spraying, you end up with a stream of molten aluminium and Al Oxide powder. It is therefore very difficult to judge how much Al Oxide gets captured within the coating and how much ends up as dust on the floor or blowing up the chimney. It is not a direct substitute for Duralcan. It may be better than pure Aluminium but could be difficult to obtain consistent results.

Yes, and certainly not as cheap. Sad

Quote:Posted by vijaydeshin - Friday, 11th January 2008 05:38 AM
Deat Jeffy,
What i remember is TAFA 35 MXC can be used for Non Skid application. What u have to do is reduce spray air pressure to suit grain size required.
Vijay Deshpande
Posted by djewell - Thursday, 10th January 2008 02:19 PM
Powdermet Inc. did some research for a non-slip deck coating using amorphous alloys. It was tough, yet corrosion resistant and made from inexpensive materials. They lost their funding, but if you contact them, they can still help you.

There are many other arc sprayed coatings that give good hard wearing gripping surfaces. Unfortunately these require to be 100% impermeable to the environment to be able to survive for long periods in a marine environment (cathodic coatings). Aluminium and zinc on the other hand are anodic coatings are very suited to long term sacrificial protection of steel in marine environments. I believe there are some special paint on applications of anti-slip coatings, which might be suitable on top of an aluminium coating (just a thought).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copper Coating on Slip Ring Stephen Booth 2 1,199 04-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  anti-adhesive, low friction coating teresa.rodriguez 5 4,333 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Reg: Anti stick coatings for moulds and dies. Dileep 4 5,558 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Last Post: djewell
  anti corrosion coating seysie 7 11,399 10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Last Post: sunnyshop
  Anti Corrosion Coating istech 4 9,860 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Stuart Milton
  Anti-corrosion coating for 409 Stainless Steel LEN WOOD 5 16,961 07-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Last Post: tonysemple
Question Anti-sticky coating ? powerman 5 12,229 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Gordon
Cool Anti-Stick/wear coating TintinMilou 3 8,447 11-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Gordon