Aluminum roughness
02-07-2018, 02:32 PM,
Aluminum roughness
I am combustion wire flame spraying aluminum on steel.
Everything is ok, except i get as sprayed roughness of around Ra20. For my application the goal is Ra40-Ra60. Is it possible to increase roughness to desired values ? The first thing coming to mind is increasing spray distance. Any other ideas ?
I do not have the possibility of using arc spray.
02-16-2018, 11:08 AM,
RE: Aluminum roughness
Hi Sprayloud
As normally people ask for a more smooth surface, in this case is very simple to obtain more roughness, is necessary to increase wire speed or changing parameters, one or two point a time, in order to alter the flame, and reducing a little air pressure.
Best regards
Luigi
02-19-2018, 04:41 AM,
Hi Sprayloud, I assume your specification, probably related to semi-conductors, requires a rough as sprayed surface? I imagine it will be trade off between a rough coating and a good coating, but you are on the right track, wire speed, and maybe air pressure and flow.....

interested to hear your results
02-19-2018, 09:32 PM,
As Stephen mentioned, Air pressure/flow has a big impact on surface roughness. Lowering air pressure reduces particle speed and results in rougher surface.

Dont lower it too much as air still has to drive your gun motor and cool the nozzle etc. You can also look at alternative air caps?
02-20-2018, 07:38 AM,
Thank you all for the input.
I'll perform some trials in a few days and post the results.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Improving Surface Roughness of Polypropylene and Measuring Surface Roughness kat.rawlings 14 26,854 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Last Post: kat.rawlings
  Black coated aluminum fin & Hydrophilic coated aluminum fin comparison Lumbantoruan 3 12,791 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Lumbantoruan