Alternative to Aluminum Wire
09-17-2008, 01:31 PM,
Alternative to Aluminum Wire
Due to the hazards in using Al, we'd like to move away from using it as much as possibile. We will be repairing exterior surfaces on aluminum housings using TWA. Is there an alternative to using Al wire that would give a similar appearance and corrosion protection while minimizing the hazards?
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM,
RE: Alternative to Aluminum Wire
Can you give a bit more info about your application. What is most important to you - appearance or corrosion protection?

What is the environment that the product is in?

The most obvious alternative is zinc but this is likely to require a thicker coating and will be a different colour (more of a dull grey than aluminium). As a protection for steel, in a splash zone environment for instance, sealed sprayed zinc would be specified as 250 microns as opposed to 150 microns of sealed sprayed aluminium. Zinc/aluminium alloy is also another option that maintains a bit of aluminium. The wire is supplied as standard as Zn/Al 85/15.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM,
They are blowers for engines primarily for off-highway vehicles. They are not painted so need to maintain corrosion resistance. As long as not drastically different appearance is less of an issue, but still a concern.
09-18-2008, 08:50 PM,
Hi jdew1920

If your "blowers" get much warmer than ~ 50*C during service, I would stick with aluminium.

As far as "hazards in using Al" I assume you refer to fire and explosion hazards, yes there probably is a little less risk with zinc, but most thermal spray over spray particulates are hazardous in this manner (to greater or lesser degree) and a good thermal spray installation should be design to cope with the majority of materials sprayed including aluminium.
09-18-2008, 09:50 PM,
Gordon - why do you recommend staying with Al based on the temp? And yes they would see temps higher than 50C.

The dust collection itself isn't an issue, it's just the added expense of a second set of ducts and dust collector that is recommended to us because we spray a significant amount of Al.

Thanks
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM,
Hi Jdew1920

Quote:Gordon - why do you recommend staying with Al based on the temp? And yes they would see temps higher than 50C.
Zinc is strange stuff, above 50*C it becomes relatively poor at what does so well below 50*C (due to some reversal of polarity in a corrosion cell). Aluminium is very good with the elevated temperature work and does not suffer the same problems as zinc. Not sure where ZnAl stands in this situation.

Quote:The dust collection itself isn't an issue, it's just the added expense of a second set of ducts and dust collector that is recommended to us because we spray a significant amount of Al.

Smile Understood. My only point is that, I heard of ducting fires where zinc was mainly sprayed, so aluminium is not totally alone with this problem. I'm hoping Stuart may be able to advise further, as I'm sure Metallisation would have much knowledge and expertise in this area.
09-19-2008, 09:17 AM,
Hi both and all,

It's not quite as simple as suggested re 50 degrees C. The environment plays a big part. As a general rule, it has to be wet with relatively pure water to reverse polarity. It will reverse back at around 75 degrees too in most cases. This situation was discovered in galvanised hot water tanks but does not occur in other applications with different environmental conditions. Zinc/Al will not react in this way to my knowledge.

Agreed re ducting fires with zinc so as mentioned, aluminium is not alone with this problem. I suggest that you speak with the guys that have been in contact with you and take their advice. It's quite a complex issue that you have and worth addressing in person rather than via the forum.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helium Alternative for Plasma Spray Abilash 2 2,865 02-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  Metco Super Spray Mask - alternative? Pete_F 3 4,544 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Last Post: J!m
  HVOF alternative to Detonation flame method texnicar 7 7,448 12-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Last Post: remistudio
  Bonding for Wire Flame Spray using Aluminum pure wire iwan-sedaryawan 3 5,852 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Last Post: MichiganMan
  Machining for Aluminum Bronze wire flame spray iwan-sedaryawan 3 8,018 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Last Post: iwan-sedaryawan
  Metco ALuminum SF wire speed M.Naguib 1 5,322 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Black coated aluminum fin & Hydrophilic coated aluminum fin comparison Lumbantoruan 3 12,803 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Lumbantoruan
  twin wire arc spraying equipment for stainless steel wire, monel wire, etc. technovel 6 12,770 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: adam wintle
  Alternative material for pure aluminum powder Madila Awalini 1 6,287 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Intel55